Making the bridge

"Old" Hung Kyun and "New" (Wong Feihung) Hung Kyun

Making the bridge

Postby Asmo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Hello Forum,

If there is no bridge, make a bridge. Is there a bridge, cross it.

There are quite a few ways to accomplish this. In this post I'd like to share two techniques for two different ways. First is to feint an attack, then make & cross the bridge. Second, attack his defense directly and then cross the bridge.

The first, to feint an attack comes from Muifa Kuen. A short set, easy to learn, but has many valuable direct & indirect applications imho. Throughout the set once a longer attack is made, especially in the beginning forward section, you clear the opponents defense against it with a left Man Sao (not sure about the name here), starting behind the right arm, clearing it towards the left (but maintain the bridge for control).
Feinting a jab with my right (standing southpaw here) the opponent ups his defenses, which I clear with the lefthanded man sao opening his middle door, followed by a low right yat gee choi and followup punches.

Second, to attack the defenses directly I like the combination in the end of Fook Fu Kuen, right before turning and finishing the set. The combination starts with a right gwa choi, left grabbing hand and finishes with a right kam choi. Key is to press the bridge while turn his shoulders so he is in no position to defend against the kam choi.
Attacking the opponents defense with a gwa choi can be found all over the forms.

What are your idea's about this? Have a few examples of your favorite ways to make & cross the bridge?
Asmo

Re: Making the bridge

Postby Daifong » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 pm

How about, "When the opponent leads with his face, drops his hands, leave openings, or tries to run then hit him; when the opponent strikes, kicks, grabs, or tries to block or cover up, use these as the means in order to hit him."

Here, I've got another one:

"When the opponent chases your bridge, then make him PAY!"

:D
Daifong

Return to Hung Ga Kyun