[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Defense against a rear choke - yee hung ga

Defense against a rear choke - yee hung ga

"Old" Hung Kyun and "New" (Wong Feihung) Hung Kyun

Defense against a rear choke - yee hung ga

Postby ngokfei » Tue May 28, 2013 4:11 pm

trying to be polite but this is ridiculous - talk about getting someone killed. especially with Fig: 3D. :shock:
Attachments
yee article.jpg
yee article.jpg (99.34 KiB) Viewed 9494 times
Eric Hargrove
Ngokfei@juno.com
www.orientalsignboards.20m.com

Facebook:
Oriental Signboards Work Shop
ngokfei

Re: Defense against a rear choke - yee hung ga

Postby ngokfei » Thu May 30, 2013 8:31 pm

wow, I guess this is an actual Traditional Hung Gar application then. Explains alot . :P
Eric Hargrove
Ngokfei@juno.com

Facebook:
ngokfei

Postby Subitai » Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 pm

You say your trying to be polite... :roll:

Think about what your saying Eric? As in what your trying to accomplish and how others might feel for speaking out.

I think the reason nobody is saying anything is obviously because nobody wants to speak out against another Hung family directly. Who would want to do that?

=========

Now that i've opened my big mouth and questioned your motives... it would be cheap of me to not offer something in return.
So to match your spirit of politeness. I would say that "Traditional" Hung Gar is like most Chinese styles, being most effective when; standing on your feet = issuing power through your stance = via the waist = eventually out to your bridges. That is my personal opinion, you can interpret my comment as an answer to your query.

=========

Lastly, you did Ying Jow Pai right? You know if I really wanted to, I could dig up some old demos from San Francisco area of Lilly lau students doing some traditional locking 2 man forms that I personally didn't really feel were too effective in a modern setting... I could probably do so. But what would I have to gain from it? I have no beef with Eagle claw.

Haha, you must be good friends with some people at Yee's HG...I know from talking to Yee Sifu in the past he's the kinda guy that would send people over to your school. I not saying it would happen now...it's not the 80's any more. I was curious about what you have to gain from this?
Subitai

Postby ngokfei » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:04 am

as this is the Hung Gar section of the Southern Fist Forum then one would expect feed back and discussion regarding Hung Gar.

I've read many a comment by probably all those here regarding various techniques, exercises done by Hung Gar/Southern exponents both in the positive and negative.

having done Hung Gar training with no less then 6 individuals for over 15 years then I'd say my experience would count.

And yes since I've also done grappling arts namely Eagle Claw, Swai Jiao and others it would also be in my view to quantify reality. Your correct there is alot of Joint Locks/Grappling techniques done by Eagle Claw exponents that I don't agree with, no style is perfect.

this movement 3D goes against all principles (that I'm aware of) in HG and many other specific Chinese Martial Arts.

And on the personal note you brought up, yes I'm aware of Sifu Yee's personality and reputation as I was training in his school for just over 3 years before I chose to leave for specific reasons better left for discussion amongst Alumnist of his organization, of which so few remain active from that time period from the last count. My door is always open for all visitors -shame none have ever taken me up on my hospitality.
Eric Hargrove
Ngokfei@juno.com

Facebook:
ngokfei

Postby SifuYui » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:37 am

Since this is a Hung Kuen forum, it should be open to discussions, both positive and negative - but always respectfully - on what is posted.

And I agree with your statement O: "I think the reason nobody is saying anything is obviously because nobody wants to speak out against another Hung family directly. Who would want to do that?"

But what purpose does this serve if we cannot honestly discuss what has been put out there, whether it be in a video or in print? It's not "against", but another perspective. It's shouldn't be "if you're not for me, you're against me". I think we all agree that part of the problem with TCMA is that we don't question enough; people have attained "legendary" status because we don't challenge what has been put out there (as long as it's done respectfully) and question what works and what doesn't. Kudos to you for fighting MMA and challenging what you have been taught, to see what worked and what you needed to work on.

My two cents.

Yui
SifuYui

Postby Daifong » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 am

This movement, called the "Atomic Drop" is often taught as defense against the wrestler's "Full Nelson":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgvIRccAcT0

Maybe not for everybody, but depending on you know what you are doing, could have its uses...

:D
Daifong

Postby ngokfei » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Subitai I didn't know you had become a student of Sifu Yee Chi Wai?
Eric Hargrove
Ngokfei@juno.com

Facebook:
ngokfei

Postby RHD » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 am

Crap.
RHD

Return to Hung Ga Kyun