[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Nelson Chin punch = ha say fu punch?

Nelson Chin punch = ha say fu punch?

"Old" Hung Kyun and "New" (Wong Feihung) Hung Kyun

Nelson Chin punch = ha say fu punch?

Postby daoust » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 am

Hi , i bought the dvd made by Nelson Chin (perfection is the truth) to see what he have to share.
In the dvd he talk about is correct way of pounching and gaining15/100 more power, he strike with is 2 midles knuckels with the tumbs making pressure on the side of is index finger and he bend is fist 3 degres down . Does this punch is the same way as ha say fu?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-srmn_ ... ata_player

Thank you
daoust

Re: Nelson Chin punch = ha say fu punch?

Postby Subitai » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 am

HI daoust,

About the punch...

1) For a normal punch
(with thumb squeezing under the Index and Middle finger). Hold out your punch and squeeze your FIst VERY TIGHTLY...as if your about to hit something.
= Now where do you feel the energy ? Not only in your fist but all around your arm especially ALSO in your forearm muscles. Right?

2) For the punch you asked about: Other Chinese styles use this fist too.
(with the Thumb braced on the side of the index finger) Again hold out your punch and squeeze your fist Very Tightly as if about to impact a target. Hold it out with a "Verticle Fist" alignment. Do not bend the wrist, keep the bones of the back of the hand inline with the arm. You are not trying to flex the forearm muscles at all...just think all the energy is going to the fist purely.
= You should feel allot more energy in your fist and LESS is wasted in your forearm. The more the energy is in your fist upon impact, the more pure is your punch.

Yes, this is how we punch in HSF and what I just said is one of the reasons why. I hope this helps.

Both are good and have a usage. "O"
Subitai

Postby daoust » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 am

Thank you really much , this is the kind of answer I wich to get. I will try this way when I will hit the heavy bag with boxing glove because it feal more natural with the boxing glove. But for the wrist 3 deg bend down , is it something that it have been done by other? It scared me that I will snap my wrist this way.

Thank for your comment
daoust

Postby Subitai » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 am

Just to be clear... I never said anything about bending the wrist, to ANY degree. Mabe it just happens naturally.

Basic kung fu, is bones of the back of the hand are parallel or straight in line with the arm in a Natural comfortable way.

Perhaps sifu Chin describes it that way I don't know...I don't have his video, I was just taught to do what is right to get the energy out to the end of the fist as pure as possible.

"O"
Subitai

Postby Daifong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm

We don't see a disclaimer in that clip to explain what happens, punching with your wrist bent at some angle. Therefore, we must assume this isn't serious training, but some kind of martial arts satire: "Don't try this at home."

How much did you pay for this DVD, anyway?

:P

As for the "thumb-on-side" position, this is especially good for inverted punch to the floating ribs, as it catches on our opponent's elbow much less on the way in. Subitai makes a good point about hand shape and energy focus as well.
Also, some like to use the thumb knuckle-point on soft targets such as sides of neck, solar plexus, groin, behind the elbow, etc. More a matter of personal preference, it's not for everyone, but I think you'll find it in a number of styles.

:wink: :D
Daifong

Postby daoust » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Sorry Subitai . I know you did not talk about bending the wirst , l was making reference to the dvd of Nelson Chin. For the pricewith shipping , it was around 40 $ thank you
daoust

Postby Xiaobian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 am

Someone correct me immediately if I am wrong, but I think that the 3 degrees down is just at the end of the punch to prevent the wrist from popping up and impacting more between the first and second knuckles. If your wrist is angled just SLIGHTLY down on impact, it makes it easier to sink the energy through the target. I would never consciously make that downward shape with my wrist, but that's the only logical reason I can think of for doing that.
其疾如風,其徐如林,侵略如火,不動如山,難知如陰,動如雷霆
Xiaobian

Postby ironpalm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 pm

ironpalm

Postby daoust » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 pm

daoust

Postby ironpalm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 pm

ironpalm

Postby Daifong » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 am

Daifong

Postby Fan Kwoen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 pm

I cannot comment about the video, as I don't know the rest of the video.

But here's something I found in my martial arts studies:
Japanese arts punch with the first two knuckles (mostly),
Chinese arts with the middle two knuckles (mostly - or perhaps better said: empasize those to keep the entire fist in line).
Both will tell to punch with the fist straight in line with the wrist: this mainly means with the 2nd knuckle straight in line. Still there's the above difference of explaining which knuckles to use.
Then I started comparing the hands and knuckes of people in Hong Kong: when making a fist their 3rd knuckle sticks out much more than with Westeners, where the first knuckle sticks out more. Talking about bringing Darwin to the punch ;)
Even some teachers in HK realised this and didn't tell Western students to keep the fist flat with 2 middle knuckles, they just let them use what others call 'karate fist': so, in conclusion: as long as it works best for the student (or you).

Hope this helps your confusion, Daoust.

On the other hand, the position of the thumb is different to between Japanese and Chinese arts, did you know and do you know why?
Fan Kwoen

Postby daoust » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm

On the other hand, the position of the thumb is different to between Japanese and Chinese arts, did you know and do you know why?[/quote]

Not a clue ! If you can tell me what difference there is and why , I would like it
daoust

Return to Hung Ga Kyun