[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Wong Feihung's role in creating the "New Hung"

Wong Feihung's role in creating the "New Hung"

"Old" Hung Kyun and "New" (Wong Feihung) Hung Kyun

Re: Wong Feihung's role in creating the "New Hung"

Postby PM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Hong Quan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Article by Frank Yee on Hung Kuen Net

Wong Fei Hung was a member of the Hung Men association, thus having learned their Kung Fu. He also learned the Tiet Sing Kuen, Iron Wire form from Tit Kiu Sam of the Shaolin Temple Hung Ga lineage. He then combined the knowledge of Tiger Crane Techniques obtained from Luk Ah Choy and his father, thus creating the version seen today.

We know this is incorrect !!!!

Dan Fong information showing discrepancies between forms ..

Dang Style Hung Ga Kuen 鄧式洪家拳

The Dang Fong branch of Hung Ga is somewhat unique from other branches of Hung Ga Kuen under Wong Fei Hung in terms of substance and material. Even amongst Dang Fong lineage there is differences in what material is said to come from Dang Fong, etc.

- Gung Ji Fuk Fu Kuen (Subduing the Tiger in the "I" Pattern)
- Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (Tiger Crane Double Shape)
- Ng Ying Kuen (5 Animals Fist)
- Sup Ying Kuen (10 Shape/Animal Fist - no Elements )
- Ng Lun Baat Gwa Gwun (Fifth Brother Eight Trigram Pole)
- Ji Mo Seung Do (Mother Son Double Swords)
- Joh Sau Mui Fa Cheung ("Left-handed Plum Flower Spear")
- Ng Lun Baat Gwa Cheung (Fifth Brother Eight Trigram Spear)
- Ching Lung Yan Yuet Dao ("Green Dragon Heaven Knife")
- Chuen Chao Dai Dao (Spring Autumn Great Knife)
- Yu Ga Daai Pa (Yu Family Tiger Fork)
- Tit Sin Kuen (Iron Wire Fist)
- Ngau Gwat Sin (Beef Bone Fan)
- Fu Pau Kuen (Tiger Panther Fist): 1 of 2 representative forms of Dang Style Hung Ga Keun created by Dang Fong
- Gau Ji Leen Waan Kuen (9 Links Continuous Fist): 1 of 2 representative forms of Dang Style Hung Ga Kuen created by Dang Fong

As you can see, different stories from different lineage holders under WFH....

I believe WFH learned His knowledge from teachers of the tradition, but not that He devised any of it Himself and that the information passed down about this is inaccurate
Hong Quan

Postby Hong Quan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Pavel...

I agree with you and thanks for the discussion... there are a lot of differences / stories etc and why ???? Surely it should be documented what WFH passed down and when and by whom and etc etc but as we know everyone is sayinmg different and varied things and so that is why i have written my book.

It is probably best to wait for my book, because I start right from the beginning and take the reader through the whole thing. I show evidence about my lineage under LNS and new information about WFH etc.

The main reason for the book is to pay respects to my Grandmaster LNS and his lineage. To tell the world the real story about this lineage and to get rid of the incorrect details as posted by the WEi-To group etc that was published by incorrect research and to give some fresh and new historical perspectives for others to look into and discover more about.

I believe that all the teachers and students of WFH have done a magnificent job spreading the lovely art far and wide, but they have slightly inaccurate information.

My book should answer these problems and will surely get interested people excited and opening their reference books again...

Regards :D
Hong Quan

Postby JE » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Hong Quan,

Please PM me.
Thx,
Justin
JE

Postby Fan Kwoen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am

Any link to where your book is sold?
Fan Kwoen

Postby PM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Well, i would suggest little bit more research first :-)
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Hong Quan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 pm

My book is on Amazon, as a paperback or Kindle version. like I said it is mostly concerned with my lineage under Lai Ng Sam. As I was researching this and the information as passed down from Lai Ng Sam, it certainly shed some light on other aspects of the Southern arts. I have done the best job with the information we were told and people can agree or disagree. I just hope that people keep an open mind and can check it all out for themselves... My only reason for publishing is to get the story right about what I inherited from my lineage... ENJOY !!!
I can only present my lineage and my findings in an honest way and it is up to the reader what they wish to believe..
:D
Lai Ng Sam's lineage has been kept very closed door and now it is time to tell the reader a little about this lineage and that is all I wish to do...

http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Shaolin- ... +hung+kuen
Hong Quan

Postby Hong Quan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Maybe pavel you will find this lineage interesting, and will offer another story to that of Hung Ga, which can only be a good thing... No one is better than anyone else and I say that in my book. Just want to tell the world about our lineage...

'One art, one heart' :)
Hong Quan

Postby PM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 am

if it is based on long time involvement, first hand experience, many visits in Hong Kong/China, interviews with old Chinese masters, serious field research, translation of old and reliable sources, i am all in. if not, well... just to have different opinion is not enough.

i would love to read a review from JE, whom i consider to be scholar/warrior and one of the senior and experienced reseacher in your lineage. or/and i will write one myself (as well).
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Hong Quan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Take what you will from it... I don't care about winning souls over to my ideas.. I have written from my lineage as a closed door student of Jeff for 12 years and was with him from the age of 15... Like I said I don't care if people believe it or not, but what I know from my lineage needs to be shared.. Justin is Everts student and didn't train directly with Jeff, so make your own mind up on that..
Hong Quan

Postby Asmo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

looking forward to a book review! Normally I buy anything blindly if it has hung kuen on it. But as this is so specific history (not being called his-story for nothing) of one lineage I would prefer it following worldwide accepted standards before I would buy a book...

Have to agree with PM here.

ps: book reviews, that is also a cool idea for the articles....
Asmo

Postby Asmo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Asmo

Postby Hong Quan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi Asmo, I simply mean that I have written the book to tell our lineage to the world and that I can't make people believe it, just that I at least have made logical sense of all the mish mash... Pavel says only after being in China and interviewing masyters can you know.. But I disagree, he has done this and still hasn't the full story.. Plus my lineage is from other than WFH and so going to be a different perspective... If only one person sees the sense then my job is done.... Its not about money, its about telling the world...
Hong Quan

Postby Asmo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't really want to become part of this discussion, but just want to say that if you want to present your book, or article, as reliable source of information, you need to cite sources, and use multiple sources in order to make it look reliable. That is common practice if you want to present such research as reliable.

Just using one, or no at all just makes it your opinion, which is fine, of course! But that will be too little to convince others. Especially if others based an idea already on the same subject which *is* based on research that *has* multiple sources. Much is known as out WFH and much of that comes from multiple lineages who otherwise have great difficulty agreeing on anything else, but do seem to agree on this...

That said, all my respect for anyone who does research and tries to present it in an orderly fashion so others can read it, including you :)

Good luck in your training (more important imho then any history).
Asmo

Postby JE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I am certainly looking forward to receiving the book. I should have it in my hands by tomorrow or Friday and will be glad to share my perspective on it once I've given it a good read and had time to think about what is included in it. That said, I am not nor have I ever claimed to be an historian, so my ability to give or take credibility to any history will be limited. I can confirm that Dave was a direct student of Jeff for many years and that I am just a student of Evert's, who happens to be Jeff's daai si hing.
JE

PreviousNext

Return to Hung Ga Kyun