[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Jow Ga Shield and Knife Set

Jow Ga Shield and Knife Set

aka Hung Tau Choi Mei

Jow Ga Shield and Knife Set

Postby Dai Ying Jow » Sat May 19, 2012 3:57 am

I know in the some Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut systems they have the Rattan Shield and Butterfly Knife Set. Is there a Shield and Butterfly Knife Set in Jow Ga?

Peace,

Dai Ying Jow
Dai Ying Jow

Re: Jow Ga Shield and Knife Set

Postby waltor » Sat May 19, 2012 4:17 am

I've seen one, and a two man set where one person is using the shield and knife. I do not know if they are "heritage" forms though.

Walter
waltor

Postby Dai Ying Jow » Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey Walter,

I would love to see what the Jow-Ga set looks like. Most of the two-men partner sets usually have the Shield and Knife -vs- Tiger Fork.

Peace,

Dai Ying Jow
Dai Ying Jow

Postby Tailik » Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey Brother Dai Ying Jow,

We have shield & darn do set. I usually see shield and butter fly. i don't know if other styles have a shield and darn do set as in jow. maybe there are others who also use dan do with shield, but i haven't seen yet. i don't know why we use darn do, but perhaps you could use either.

Tailik
www.jowtigers.com
http://www.facebook.com/jowga1
Wuih Jeuih Tunhg Muhn Tuei Dunhg Chyun Tung Jau Ga Gung Fu!
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
JOW BROTHERS JOIN TOGETHER TO PROMOTE JOW GA KUNG FU!
Tailik

Postby Dai Ying Jow » Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey Tailik,

Awesome! I would love to see what it looks like. Over the years I have seen some systems perform with Butterfly Knife & Shield and others Darn-Do & Shield and both looked great.

You can see that this set came from the foot soldiers on the battle field.

Peace,

Dai Ying Jow
Dai Ying Jow

Postby markenneth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:07 am

my friends told me there were some Rattan Shield and Butterfly Knife Set in Jow Ga
"a man of courage never need weapons, but may need bail."
markenneth

Postby Daifong » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 am

Not speaking specifically to the Jow Ga set, over the course of history and different wars in Southern China, other types of sword were used besides Butterfly Knives and Broadswords, more along the lines of a typical Machete.

After the founding of the Republic, and in Hong Kong, martial art shows were gaining in popularity, yet as "weapons" were prohibited for public use, readily identifiable "martial instruments" were used in their place.

That means that if you go to the "Luen Hing Music Store" to pick up some "weapons" for your performances, the only selection they have may very well be limited to Butterfly Knives and Broadswords (or maybe a Gim).

If you learned your set with a Machete, you might go with the "Butterfly" presentation, over a longer, rather more unwieldy Broadsword-type of instrument, especially if you'll be rolling on the ground (as this set usually does).

Just my .02, for what it's worth.

:D
Daifong

Postby Tailik » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 pm

www.jowtigers.com
http://www.facebook.com/jowga1
Wuih Jeuih Tunhg Muhn Tuei Dunhg Chyun Tung Jau Ga Gung Fu!
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
JOW BROTHERS JOIN TOGETHER TO PROMOTE JOW GA KUNG FU!
Tailik

Return to Jau Ga Kyun