[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Hung Kyun in Jow Ga

Hung Kyun in Jow Ga

aka Hung Tau Choi Mei

Hung Kyun in Jow Ga

Postby Tailik » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm hoping to post one of Jow Ga's forms called Dai Fok Fu Kuen "Big Tiger Fist" because this form has some similar sections from Hung Kyun's your Gung Ji section of Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen.

Since you all know that jow ga combines hung ga, choy ga, and bak siu lum, here are two my students Nicole and Will demonstrating:

Fa Kuen
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyA3ARpXR8[/youtube]

Siu Fok Fu
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rubTzUuIQ[/youtube]

Siu Ying Jow Kuen (one section)
http://www.jowtigers.com/new/movies/siuyingjowkuen.wmv

Gwok Gee Kuen (one section)
http://www.jowtigers.com/new/movies/william_form.wmv

regards
Tai lik
www.jowtigers.com
http://www.facebook.com/jowga1
Wuih Jeuih Tunhg Muhn Tuei Dunhg Chyun Tung Jau Ga Gung Fu!
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
JOW BROTHERS JOIN TOGETHER TO PROMOTE JOW GA KUNG FU!
Tailik

Postby Asmo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:53 pm

I know too little about the other families in special so I won't comment on technique as I don't see myself qualified, but I like the explosiveness and expression!

Good stuff. I think I saw Jow Ga's Dai Fok Fu Kuen and it indeed showed many sequences similar as in Hung Gar's form.

Looking forward to your stuff :) You know the form for uploading the articles in still intact and so Tailik? (you still use it?)
Asmo

Postby Tailik » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks Asmo

i've always been interested in tracing which parts of Hung Ga have influenced jow ga. You can see can the other influences, especially in our Jow Biu lineage.

We don't have Wong Fei Hung in our lineage. Our main founder Jow Lung learned Hung Kuen from his Uncle Jow Hung, who was older than Wong Fei Hung at the time.

many of our forms have elements of Gung Ji Kuen. Big Subduing Tiger Fist has quite a few (Dai Fook Fu Kune).

thanks for your comments
Best
Tai Lik
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Postby Tailik » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:23 pm

P.S. sorry i just noticed that you have a "Related Styles" Section (jow ga, lama pai, etc.). If you like i can move this thread.
thanks
Tai Lik
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Postby TenTigers » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 pm

I have always liked Jow Ga. I see elements of Gung Ji Fook Fu,Fu-Hol Seurng Ying, and Moi-fa Kuen in these sets. The been, sow,cup,and jong choys seem to be from I'm guessing, Choy Ga, the tornado kicks, and iron broom sweeps I would think are Northern influence,but where do the lok gwai ma techniques come from? We use a little in Hung-Ga, and in our Moi Fa Kuen, it is used quite extensively.
'My Gung-Fu is MY Gung-Fu. It may not be YOUR Gung-Fu"
Gwok Si, Gwok Faht
TenTigers

Postby Asmo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Would the tornado kicks not be from Mok Ga? (just to keep it southern ;))
Asmo

Postby Tailik » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:05 pm

TT thanks, i really appreciate your observations. knowing alittle bit about our style's origins, it's always informative to see and identify the connections.

your right, from what i've learn we consider the been, Kum choy, jong choy/chung choy to be from the choy ga.

My teacher in Hong kong told me that our leg sweeps/so guerk comes from the Choy Ga. The full circle sweep seen in Gwok Ji is supposedly one of Choy ga's destinguishing sweeps called "Lawk Day Gum Chin" or ground full of money (translation is difficult but basically the metaphor is like using your sweeping leg to collect all of the money on the ground. The gwai ma also comes from the choy ga line we follow.

Hey brother Asmo the tornado kick (seng fung toy) or as we call it "Lin wan guerk" has been noted as a technique Jow Lung learned from his northern master. :)

thanks for your input hung brothers. anything else would be appreciated.

Tai Lik
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Postby Tailik » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:09 pm

btw Asmo i forgot to mention regarding the mok ga. there is one section in Gwok Ji where my student William executes a simultaneous chin tui been choy and then follows with a simutaneous charn guerk che choy. i once saw someone performing mok ga who demonstrated this exact combination in his form.

Tai Lik
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Postby PM » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:40 pm

hello Tailik,

thnx for the videos, very interesting! any more historical info on Jau Ga/Hung Ga connections? i would love to read more.

and - as Asmo said - we all remeber the cool articles you have posted some time ago. maybe we can repost some of theme here, or - which would be even better - post please some new stuff!

best regards
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Asmo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:34 pm

All files Tailik uploaded can still be found here: http://www.usefulfreesoftware.com/tailik/listfiles.php

The upload file is still available as well, so if you still need some external space Tailik, feel free to use it as before :)
Asmo

Postby Tailik » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Thanks for the file space and i will certainly use it :)

i was in Hong kong during august and i went to alittle shop near lan gwai fung. i asked a lady if she had any old gung fu magazines and she said had alot but earlier that morning a film director came to her shop and purchased all of her old magazines for a documentary on gung fu his studio was making. i did manage to find a few old magazines and books in the back of other little shops. :D

maybe you can take the articles from the file Asmo listed and post them on your forum?

PM i am certainly interested in hearing any input or comments that others on this forum may have regarding the connections that they recognize between jau ga/jow ga and hug kyun. i think some of our other forms seldom seen in public may offer some information.

regards
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Re: Hung Kyun in Jow Ga

Postby Tailik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

i'm still searching through my files to locate the video of the original fu hok seung ying learned by our family from Wong Fei Hung.
www.jowtigers.com
匯聚同門推動傳統周家功夫
Tailik

Return to Jau Ga Kyun