[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Lama Pai Kung-Fu Video: 3 Step Combination

Lama Pai Kung-Fu Video: 3 Step Combination

Si Ji Haau, Lama Paai, Hap Ga, Baak Hok...

Lama Pai Kung-Fu Video: 3 Step Combination

Postby Lama Pai Sifu » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Quick Lama Pai Video.

Please Comment, Subscribe and Rate.

Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3lMluKAAw[/youtube] Lama Pai Kung-Fu: 3 Step Combination

Peace
Sifu Michael Parrella

Lama Pai Sifu

Postby Subitai » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Sifu,

I think all the videos you've been doing is good for gung fu. The more the merrier I always say and also you have a clear voice and easy going manner that is good for this medium. Good Job and admirable because most (Crotchity Old Timer) Sifus are not willing to give up what they know so freely....especially on video. I'm not old myself but I guess i'm "Crotchity"...hahahaha.

I did want to say something on this combo though.
Please don't take offense...you asked for comments so here is mine.

VS. a guy you don't know and never traded hands with...like myself or any decent boxer who has a good jab......
You would not be able to do this method straight of the bat. You would have to sparr with me to get into my timing alittle more and get a feel for my rythym. Then once you KNOW me and my tendances more, mabe you could pull this off in a textbook fashion. I'm talking about when 2 strangers have just met and are feeling eachother out. A good jab can be fast, aggressive and would stick you long before you got your feet shuffling like that. Very few people have feet that can match the speed of hands in this regard.

I'm NOT saying that YOU couldn't do it personally...it's just very difficult unless you are supremely capable of this timing. Especially on the very 1st punch you get VS a totally strange opponant that you've never exchange hands with before.

Not many will jab/punch out and leave their arm extended. Boxers definately won't, unless they're tired. It's the nature of yin / yang...and as his left jab is quickly returning with a sinking elbow back to chin position, so too does his torso begin to turn back to his left side...

As a fighter, for me, I always preffer to negate danger and UP my odds.

Given the same combo...I would use a quick right Pak Sao (Slap hand), as i'm shifting my stance and just prior to my 1st strike with the left hand to negate the danger. The quick Pak Sao has another bonus...it interrupts the flow of the boxer and if you can stick just briefly...it can help your timing better and also prevent him from retracting his jab, thus helping you again.

For the average user or someone still learning, I advise this adaptation or they are going to get STUCK by that jab / punch in a hurry.

***In Hung Gar, as my left arm is shooting directly under his left arm and striking his arm pitt or ribbs, it is out of his vision. Some families call it "Flowers in the sleeves or Punching through the sleeves".

Again, I'm not saying YOU...but for someone just starting they should be aware of this.

I hope you see that i'm not being critical of you, just giving newer guys food for thought.

"O"
Subitai

Postby APAV » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Thoughtful input there Subitai.

First of all I should say that I love the videos you've been sharing, Lama Pai Sifu.

Personally I like to minimalize the stepping to focus more on the hips, and evade by leaning.
A Pak Sau would make it hard to throw a cup choy (?) afterwards, but I'd use it if I was on the defensive (sets up for a good elbow too).
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night...
APAV

Postby jow yeroc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 am

Good vid Parella sifu, and good points and comments by O and APAV.
no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream.
jow yeroc

Postby Tid Sin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:07 pm

I, too, enjoy Sifu Mike's videos :)

"O": I misread your post! When you wrote "Crotchity", I read it quickly and thought it said "Crotch-itchy" at first! LOL Sorry :oops:
Tid Sin

Return to Tibetan Martial Arts