[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Name of a Choy Lei Fat punch

Name of a Choy Lei Fat punch

Chan Family CLF, Hung Sing CLF, Bak Sing CLF...

Name of a Choy Lei Fat punch

Postby Tholf » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05 am

I was playing chi sao with a taigik player last night and he introduced me to a punch he had learned from a Choy Lei Fat player. The punch rotates inward so it ends up with the knuckles turned in towards the centre line.

The application of the punch we used in chi sao was:

* attacker with hand on the outside starts to punch over the top of the opponent's wrist;
* opponent checks the punch either at the crook of the arm or at the shoulder;
* attacker continues the punch, rotating the fist and waist, aiming towards the lower body and 'breaking' the check by rolling it under the attacking arm and out.

Does anyone know the Cantonese name of this punch and/or the characters? I've seen the punch in CLF and understand it's quite common. Just need to give it a name in my notes.

Cheers
Tholf

Postby PM » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 am

hello,

i still did not understand it from your description. if you can find the punch on any CLF video, let me know, and i will tell you the name f the punch

all the best to you
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby jow yeroc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:26 pm

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're describing the famous
chaap choi. One of the signature moves of buk sing clf. I think it's
in alot of southern styles. We use it also in jow ga.
no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream.
jow yeroc

Postby mok » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Agreed - charp choy (chaap choy).
What is the sound of one-hand clawing?
mok

Postby Tholf » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:57 pm

Cheers. I'm pretty sure I've heard it described as that before.

Apologies for the poor description PM. Another way of describing it would be to start as if you were throwing the Hung Gar yaht character punch with the right hand, but rotated the punch counter-clockwise so the fist was in the opposite direction (ie still punching forward, but thumb ending up facing down rather than up).

I couldn't find an illustration on youtube after a brief search, but I did find this short video of a wooden dummy design that I have not seen before:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiVS8geGbl4[/youtube]
Tholf

Postby PM » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:32 pm

yes, as the guys said before, chaap cheui 插搥

i would just add that this type of chaap cheui is called yam chaam 陰插
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Tholf » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Thanks again, particularly for the characters.
Tholf

Postby hskwarrior » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:47 pm

hey folks,

i think you are talking about yum chop. but i could be wrong.

it sounds like yum chop though.
鴻龍 鴻勝館 鴻勝蔡李佛
Proud To Be HUNG
HUNG SING THAT IS!
hskwarrior

Return to Choi Lei Fat