[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - the movie: Ip Man (Yip Man)

the movie: Ip Man (Yip Man)

Yip Man WCH, Yun Keisaan WCH, Gu Lou WCH, Baan Jung WCH. Cho Ga WCH...

the movie: Ip Man (Yip Man)

Postby PM » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dYYJvRTWw[/youtube]

hello to all, have you seen it? what do you think?
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Asmo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 pm

As a movie: very cool! I'm sure many Wing Chun players will have one or more things to argue with both history (grin) and technique. But I enjoyed watching it :)
Asmo

Postby shuen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:56 pm

When does it come to the theaters? Got anybody infos about the appearance in Europe?
no rotor --> no motor
shuen

Postby PM » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:57 pm

premier was in the end of December 2008; i have no idea about the European distribution. in China you can already buy a DVD

i saw it on Sunday: i like it, quite good movie, good movie WCH, Donnie Yen is cool, BUT - why the the hell it is called Yip Man? the story has nothing to do with real Yip Man jou si
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Frank Bolte » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:54 am

The movie was very entertaining,using wing chun and a more than loose adoption on YipMan. What bothered me was that they tried to make Yip Man look like a chinese folk hero...at the end its written in chinese ,because of YipMans fight against the japanese he encouraged the chinese people to shake off the japanese occupation...Im sorry,YipMan was certainly a great wing chun master and did a lot for the art..but in my opinion if Bruce Lee wasnt his student I think not too many outside the martialart world would know him..also the movie looks a lot like Fearless...also i liked prodigal son better.
Frank Bolte

Postby PM » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:38 am

Franky - yeah, i think exactly the same
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby ngokfei » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Nice movie, with action and stuff.

We would have tosay the same for Wong Fei Hung's fame as well.

While mroe prevelent then Yip Man it really wasdue to Lam Sai Wing students being involved with the Hong Kong Film Industry but more so because of Kwong Tit Fu.
ngokfei

Postby shuen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:31 pm

I do not think, that it will come to Germany, so i just bought the DVD on Ebay a minute ago....
no rotor --> no motor
shuen

Postby Tid Sin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 pm

It was good entertainment anyway. At least Wong Fei Hung was mentioned once in the scene where the country challengers were having lunch :wink:

When are we going to get a similar modern-made big budget movie about Wong Fei Hung starring an actor who actually performs Hung Kuen on-screen, unlike the versions depicted by Jackie Chan & Jet Li? :?
Tid Sin

Postby Dee » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 am

Dee

Postby Frank Bolte » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:44 am

Frank Bolte

Postby jow yeroc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 pm

no matter how many times the ball bounces, there's still no bones in ice cream.
jow yeroc

Shaw Bros

Postby Tid Sin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:01 pm

That would be awesome! Great choices (COTM & MC). Come on, Franky, get your Sigung to re-release them in theatres, you can do it! lol

I remember in the 1980s when they re-released Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon for a limited time...the theatres were packed :)

It's one thing to see classic SB flicks on your TV via DVD, but it's a whole different experience to watch them on the big screen at a movie theatre with surround sound!

Echoing what Jow Yeroc wondered, when might we expect to see the Luk Ah Choy flick? 2010? 2011? ;)
Tid Sin

Postby Frank Bolte » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm

haha you think my sigung has any rights on these movies ? no chance...
:(

but yeah I would love to see them on the big screen ..

have no sched..what I know is that the script is written,that the money is there (big budget) only some contracts need to be signed etc. the the casting can begin..
hopefully filming starts this year so we can expect the release for 2010..

anyway,back to Yip Man..I got now a copy in cantonese with subs..saw the mandarin version already.

ngokfei said the same goes for wfh's fame... certainly yes throughout the years of making movies on WFH many things were added..but still in my opinion u cant compare those characters..

Wong Fei Hung was already a folkhero before they made movies on him..
Yip Man,if he didnt have Lei Siu Lung as a student he would be just another grandmaster of a kung fu style....(a very good one as he did a lot for his style) but there are many other great kung fu grandmaster..they just didnt have a student that became a movie star... so nobody really knows them...
Frank Bolte

Return to Wing Cheun Kyun