[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Chan Wa sheung - wing chun "fuk fu" set

Chan Wa sheung - wing chun "fuk fu" set

Yip Man WCH, Yun Keisaan WCH, Gu Lou WCH, Baan Jung WCH. Cho Ga WCH...

Chan Wa sheung - wing chun "fuk fu" set

Postby mok » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 pm

This is supposedly wing chun, so bear with me... what do you guys think of this set?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pmo2yjqwuI[/youtube]
What is the sound of one-hand clawing?
mok

Postby PM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:08 pm

i have learned "Wingcheun taming of the tiger set" (Wingcheun fuk fu kyun) from a friend of my sifu, Wong sifu of Samjan, master of Chan Yiumin Wingcheun. i also learned "Wingcheun red sand palm" (Wingcheun hung sa jeung) from him. a lot of common Southern Siulam techniques, incuding Hung Kyun ones. he said that in their branch siu lim tau/cham kiu/biu ji are just "basic/fundamental exercises" (gei bun gung) - they have much more in their curriculum.

there are so many different branches in China, you would not believe it (i hope my friend Ivan Rzounek, Wingcheun sifu of Mai Gei Wong Wingcheun), who also joined this forum, will tell us more. there were many masters who trained both Hung kyun and WCH, one of the most famous being Pang Naam.

[edit] another one:

http://union.bokecc.com/flash/player.sw ... share=true
Last edited by PM on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby mok » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:19 pm

PM,

hmm.... Isn't that the same set? I think it's actually the same guy?.

But generally, i agree with you. Although they are obviously "Wing Chun'ized", there's more than a few techniques in there that I would otherwise consider "signature" Hung Ga moves.

Nehoo - love the irony of the Bruce Lee posters in the back :D.
Last edited by mok on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is the sound of one-hand clawing?
mok

Postby PM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:37 pm

mok,

videos - oh, i did not notice (to be candid, i forgot the WCH fuk fu kyun long time ago), but it is both fuk fu kyun

as what you wrote, i would say "signature" Southern Siulam. both WCH and HK are Siulam Paai. it si a question - is it something added from different source and "Wingcheunized" (that is what i think)? or is it something that the other branches lost? there are some WCH branche with more than a dozen sets (hei baan WCH, Chan Yiumin WCH... ), there are branches wich do not have a single set, just one to three dozens of saan sik/saan sau. but it is true that slt, chk, bj, pole, knives and dummy are seen in most of the WCH branches (although they are sometimes VERY different)
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby HungFamilyFist » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:04 pm

Southern Fist - Primarily Hung gar/wing chun
Yang Style Tai Chi
HungFamilyFist

Postby Daifong » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Well, for one thing, the man is playing Baat Jih Kim Yeung Mah "Character 8" Stance, not Yi Jih/ "Character 2"...

For another, whether or not Wing Chun can be distilled to the point where it is a "purely" short range system, with long range capability, that 'doesn't look like other styles", the fact remains there has been a history of blending and extrapolation evident, to such effect that there exist today in many Wing Chun schools at minimum some extra-systemic movement sections for cross-training purpose (Gwa, Sou, Charp, etcetera longhands, for example)...

I would not go so far as to say that a curriculum comprised of 3 forms, a dummy, pole and knives could be viewed as "stripped down" by any measure, but rather that the Wing Chun family is very large, spread out, and integrated with other systems, the result of good, long-standing productive relations...

Really, if it's like that overseas, then how the much more so at its place of origin, with so many more generations' contributions represented?

That being said, a couple of movements that seem to be different (after, of course, the standardly recognizable opening), include Laan Tou/ "Overhead Blocking", Bui Gim/ (Horizontal) Back Hammerfist, Tit So Ba Gyuk/ "Iron Broom Kick", and a straightline rear-leg stepthrough, which is interesting, using the Tiu Sau/ "Up-Flicking Hands" into a Saat Geng Sau/ "Throat Cutting Hand"...

That footwork is not found in any of the (Yip Man) sets except the Butterfly Knives, which (short of actually asking the performer, or the man who designed the set) would tend to indicate a barehand application against a stick, or other blunt weapon (using the hands as "knives"), due to the actuality that a "straightline step-through" (attempt) from actual short bridge contact would, of course, expose your centerline...

The Big Sweep is always useful (and although what "looks like" a block in a set most usually isn't), so is being able to block your head (like if a second guy is simultaneously grabbing at your legs, a BIG SWING is coming, and so you can't Jyun Mah/ Pivot, but you CAN "Block" to save your life!

Bui Gim is just an extra-heavy Fak Sau/ Outward Chop, ok...

I don't see this Fuk Fu Kyun set as being "complete" (as HG Gung Ji Fuk Fu Kyun, for example), or even particularly essential, but probably just a few auxilliary concepts that the Sifu felt worthwhile to put into an actual choreography, as "contingency" techniques (implied, but not necessarily found, as such, in other sets), encapsulated for future generations' ready usage...

Siu Lam Nam Kyun clearly represented!

:D

Best,

Michael

PS: Hap Ga Kyun Pok Yik Sau Faht clearly represented here as well...

:wink:
Daifong

Return to Wing Cheun Kyun