[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - UFC 124 main event aka jin cheui story

UFC 124 main event aka jin cheui story

(other styles of martial arts & everything else)

Postby PM » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 pm

i did not write about any exorcised little girl's head turning around ha ha :-D imagine jin cheui instead of paau cheui on the pic above, and you got it. as for power - how much power do you need if you are hitting somebody to the groin? speed, accuracy and set up (ergo yat jeung yat kyun)!

greetings
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Xiaobian » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:07 am

In that side horse, the chin and jaw can easily be braced against the shoulder, so IMO lowering the chin isn't necessary. the spine can stay straight, and the jaw protected. Please tell me if I've missed something.
其疾如風,其徐如林,侵略如火,不動如山,難知如陰,動如雷霆
Xiaobian

Postby Subitai » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 am

Subitai

Postby PM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:55 am

maximum power all the time is imho one of the reasons why a lot of Hung Kyun looks like karate; well, on the other a lot of Hung Kyun has no power at all (and without doubt, power training is our bread and butter)

anyway, the main concept is gong - yau (fu - hok, yam - yeung, heui - sat whatever), so i would say no, we do not always train for the best power we can. power is just one of the pieces of the puzzle. sometimes we want to be very fast and accurate (se ying, hok ying... ), not necessarily powerful. sometimes the setup is fast and finisher strong, or set up strong a violent, and the finisher fast, accurate and mean (and a lot of techniques are designed like that). this is the case - i do not need almost any power to knock out the guy with a groin shot, but the set up has to be real threat (so the opponents defends his upper gate), the following technique fast, smooth, accurate and mean. that is why we do it al the time - 1000 reps a day, and it works as magic charm.

back to the topic - even a boxing jab can be same a in Hung Kyun or very different from it, as in boxing there are many schools, each of them performing the jab quite differently - some of them with falling step, some of them with step and turn etc. moreover, jab in MMA (and its role) is different from boxing, same goes for reality based self defense, as i wrote above.

shoulders up, although definitely advantage from one point of view, is definitely not a gugfu way, and we have good reasons why not to do that. but - as always, it is a matter of pro - contra. can i do it as a Hung Kyun player in fighting? sure, why not. do i train like that on regular basis? hell, no.

all the best to the other side of the pond!
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby vaulander » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.
vaulander

Postby PM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm

V., i do not agree. Hung Kyun is originally form Fukgin, so is karate, but karate and Hung Kyun are 2 different things - same as Hung Kyun and boxing, two different things, as we agree in this thread. our gung ji fuk fu kyun is definitely not karate without fancy kicks
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby Subitai » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Subitai

Postby vaulander » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:21 am

vaulander

Postby vaulander » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 am

vaulander

Postby Itinerant_Phenomenologist » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:02 am

If you can't hit hard, hit them where they're soft.

Be charitable when listening to people, but always ask questions.
Itinerant_Phenomenologist

Postby Daifong » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:45 am

Haha, I almost tipped my chair in trying to follow that little "exercise", especially after those incisive comments about "herd mentality"...

I also enjoyed the fact that someone else describes the phenomenon of the "out-of-Kwoon experience", as well as of "adrenalburger management", lol...

Those are something to be taken seriously, for REAL for real, and I hope no other posts are self-deleted!

Now, IMHO the reason people don't have lead hand knockout power with a vertical punch, is a matter of not using weight shift and whole-body force when dropping with the power...

Of course it would be a "10" for all of us to see a knockout in such fashion (and an "11" if done with fist on hip like the picture of Lam Saiwing!), but the nature of going rounds over an extended period of time is that you'll need a Taan Chui/ Jab...

It's a technique evolved just by the ring, and for the ring alone. Try doing that in a streetfight, and let me know just how many openings are created on yourself by not immediately power-hitting, and how much time you waste to let his buddies all get on you...

That is, if we're only talking about when using fists. Speed striking with the fingers is another story. Crane from outside, Snake from up in close...

Now, although the question of "tipping" has taken us to an extreme, to throw the Toh Pau/ Earthcasting Punch as a sort of bent over sideways Fo Jin Chui is not only possible, it is quite useful!

Even if some leaning positions aren't our "go-to", first-line arsenal, if we are actually forced to evacuate the upper gates, isn't it much better to have "straight-blast" force (rather than 'just' a swing) from that particular angle?

Example: While ducking down so as not to absorb a Muay Thai Crocodile Tail Kick, or a Baseball Bat swing, we "bang him low" with straight force, which props him into place for our follow-up shots as his body reacts to the impact (knees/waist folding)...

The angle even offers one "chin coverage", as demonstrated in the Wing Lam photo. The neck is straight, but the head is clearly sideways, w/ chin protected by the shoulder. Also, I don't see anything wrong with keeping one's shoulders "up"...that is, until one actually "drops" the power!

Props,

Michael

:wink: :D

PS @ Vaulander: I don't know anyone who kicks like that, ok...

HG kicking is always under cover of the hands. Merry Christmas!
Last edited by Daifong on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daifong

Postby ironpalm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 am

ironpalm

Postby Subitai » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Subitai

Postby Daifong » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 am

Daifong

Postby Subitai » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:53 am

Subitai

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion