[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
NaamKyun.com Discussion Forum • View topic - Yo

Yo

(first time here? introduce yourself please)

Yo

Postby Xiaobian » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi, new member here; thought I'd introduce myself. I study hung ga and jow ga.

I study Chan Hon Chung lineage. I started out in hung ga, a little while ago, but lessons are expensive and when I am at school, I am too far away from my sifu. My sifu is a bit of a perfectionist (as am I) and only had me doing stances and stance-work exercises for a little more than 6 months. Consequently, I generally don't have a lesson with him unless I 1) have the money and 2) feel I am good enough to be taught more. I am on lauga kuen after having completed moifa kuen.

I recently started jow gar when I transferred to a new university. I have been studying under Sigung Hoy K. Lee for a few months. I figured that if I were to be down here anyway, I might as well learn jow gar, especially since it has intense roots in hung gar.

peace
Last edited by Xiaobian on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
其疾如風,其徐如林,侵略如火,不動如山,難知如陰,動如雷霆
Xiaobian

Postby Jerry Battle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:19 am

Xiaobian,

Welcome to the forum. You will find that everyone here is very pleasant and helpful if you have any question pertaining to your art or anything martial related. I believe there are some practitioners of Jow Ga who are members as well.

Once again, welcome aboard and I hope that you will enjoy your time here at hungkyun.com.

Peace

Jerry
Jerry Battle

Welcome

Postby Franc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 am

Xiaobian,

As Jerry mentioned, this forum is quite open minded and their experiences will enhance your outlook of the martial arts regardless of style. Enjoy your training and welcome.

Franc
Franc
Franc

Postby Asmo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 am

Welcome on the forum Xiaobian! Like said before you'll find an open minded friendly bunch of people here. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask, there's always someone who is able to answer :)
Asmo

Postby PM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:09 am

hello and welcome, nice to see another Jau a brother on the forum!
Pavel Macek

PM

Postby ironpalm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Welcome aboard! Always nice to have another perspective from another person.
ironpalm

Postby vaulander » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Greetings and salutations! We are all a big happy family here, except for the occasional domestic disturbance. Some people aren't talking cuz of what happened last christmas, and as long as those two aren't in the same room, everything is fine. One big happy family. :)
Cheers!
V.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.
vaulander

Re: Yo

Postby PorkChop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Again, sorry to be digging up old stuff.

Xiao Bian - you live in DC and train with Hoy Lee? Did Hoy Lee open up a school in DC? Or do you commute to Virginia Beach?
PorkChop

Postby Xiaobian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 am

Okay, maybe that was a bit confusing. I studied Jow Ga with Sifu HK Lee while I was living temporarily in Norfolk for about a year until I ran out of time and money. :?
Xiaobian

Postby PorkChop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm

PorkChop

Postby Xiaobian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:26 pm

:lol: Haha no worries, I kinda figured you were thinking along such lines. The fact that I haven't had time to train gongfu just makes me depressed. Anyway, I've met Wong sifu, and he's a great guy. When I didn't have money to go to his tournament, I spoke to him on the phone, and he let me come and help out as a volunteer. When my living situation is more stable, I definitely plan on dropping by and seeing what I can work out!
Xiaobian

Postby PorkChop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Tell him Pork Chop says "hi", and that he was right about everything, especially the diet.
But be prepared to run. :mrgreen:
PorkChop

Postby manofjow » Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 am

Xiaobian,
How are you doing?

I am new to these forms, but not Jow Ga.

I started with Wong's in 1986. Hopefully you have found some Jow in DC.
By now you should know about Rahim on U St. N.W.,
Wong's on Florida Ave. N.W.,
Terry Robinson is no longer in Silver Springs

Actually there are more qualified Jow Ga teachers in DC than there are school. Many of my older seniors do not have schools for various reasons.

Make contacts in person and you will meet more.

Jow Peace
manofjow

Postby Xiaobian » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks for the info, Manofjow! My main concern (and the primary reason I haven't been at Hoy's) has always been budgetary. I'm not in DC yet, but on my return, I will definitely be making the rounds! :D
Xiaobian

Return to Members Introduction